Just a quick post about making looping animations in Maya Time Editor, mostly for myself. Suppose you have a walk mocap fbx and you want to make it loop so you can use it in UE4, here the way I found to make it. (I’m not an anim pro, if you know better please leave a comment)
We almost finished a reorganization of a project containing about 2000 uassets. Moving, renaming, removing unused ones, this kind of stuff. Few notes for memory.
- Backup intermediary results.
- When renaming stuff it’s better to run fixup redirectors time to time (often).
- When moving folders fixup redirectors is mandatory, moving twice or moving and renaming can break things.
- Some things are not properly marked dirty, so you have to save them even there is no little “*” on them. Composite textures are one of them. We ended up saving textures by hand every time.
- Also, better run a save on things you changed (right-click -> save) and recompile blueprints.
- There are mass renaming plugins on the marketplace, like MORT
- Bonus: windows command that recursively prints all file paths in a folder: dir /b /s /a:-D
How to use Microsoft Speech API (SAPI) in Unreal Engine 4 (UE4), with Visual Studio 2017 Community Edition. Because I’m always forgetting it.
Work on our Asian friend continues. I adapted the material for the teeth from the new UE4 photo-realistic character sample. Also studied SS profile, roughness and specularity values in the sample and changed mines to match them better. Still some problems from the eye occlusion mesh, maybe need to remake again.
Another port from Daz to UE4. This time a guy, “Saejima”. Screenshots are from 4.19, so no new 4.20 features yet.
We started from G8 basic male and used various shaping parameters to obtain an Asian looking face, then added some more muscles.
For making the normals and AO we exported high res and low res as .obj and baked in Substance Painter combined with G8M bump maps.
For eyes, we took some Paragon eyes, fit in G8M, imported in Daz, created a “Follower”, fit to our character, imported in back maya, fit again, because the occluder didn’t really fit. In short, eyes are difficult to adapt.
In Unreal, normals are a little bit intensified using “flatten normals” node with a negative parameter.
Probably, it can be improved more. Also, it would be interesting to check in 4.20.
Screenshots made in UE4.19 with an empty level, a directional light from the front and a spot light from the back.