Modular Japanese House Project update.
I’m making a complete little town. Here a few screenshots of the WIP. The modular Japanese House pack is almost ready to be released. With this level, I’m at the same time working to build a playable demo of the pack and testing the assets and their usability.
Amado (雨戸), wooden shutters against rain, typhoon, etc. I’ve used particles effects in substance painter to get the used look. Now, the rest of the exteriors looks too clean, I’ll work on fixing that. Continue reading “Amado”
A few preview screenshots of
- modular tansu ( traditional Japanese storage cabinetry), composed from a few simple pieces that can be combined in storage cabinets or stairs.
- rice sacks and rice barrels. The rice sacks are modeled using Marvelous Designer. For texturing I’ve used Substancepainter and Bitmap2material.
Continue reading “Modular Tansu, Rice Barrels and Rice Sacks”
I’ve started to work on the landscape for my Japanese House project. The idea is to have a big tiled landscape for the view, and a few small landscapes to an higher resolution where the gameplay will take place.
So I started doing 2 things: 1.) I wrote from scratch the landscape material and replaced the material used in the previous screenshots on this blog, 2) I generated the big landscape itself. Continue reading “Landscape work”
Since the last post about the Japanese Modular House project I’ve been working on completing a demo level (it’s not finished yet, but I have done about the half of it). In particular, I did a lot of work on the exterior (new meshes, landscape, foliage) and started to work on the particle systems for interiors and exteriors. For the latter, I’ve decided to learn Niagara, even if it’s still an early access feature, because it’s the future of particle effects in Unreal Engine (and it looks very nice and it’s easy to use too). Continue reading “Japanese Modular House Update”
Work on our Asian friend continues. I adapted the material for the teeth from the new UE4 photo-realistic character sample. Also studied SS profile, roughness and specularity values in the sample and changed mines to match them better. Still some problems from the eye occlusion mesh, maybe need to remake again.
Another port from Daz to UE4. This time a guy, “Saejima”. Screenshots are from 4.19, so no new 4.20 features yet.
We started from G8 basic male and used various shaping parameters to obtain an Asian looking face, then added some more muscles.
For making the normals and AO we exported high res and low res as .obj and baked in Substance Painter combined with G8M bump maps.
For eyes, we took some Paragon eyes, fit in G8M, imported in Daz, created a “Follower”, fit to our character, imported in back maya, fit again, because the occluder didn’t really fit. In short, eyes are difficult to adapt.
In Unreal, normals are a little bit intensified using “flatten normals” node with a negative parameter.
Probably, it can be improved more. Also, it would be interesting to check in 4.20.
Screenshots made in UE4.19 with an empty level, a directional light from the front and a spot light from the back.