I’ve started adding a few details to the scene, in order to make the environment more lively. I had to model a few new meshes and make some textures. My friend did the sewers like decals. I still want to add some text on the banners and make some new curtains (Noren) for more variety.
Modular Japanese House Project update.
I’m making a complete little town. Here a few screenshots of the WIP. The modular Japanese House pack is almost ready to be released. With this level, I’m at the same time working to build a playable demo of the pack and testing the assets and their usability.
We almost finished a reorganization of a project containing about 2000 uassets. Moving, renaming, removing unused ones, this kind of stuff. Few notes for memory.
- Backup intermediary results.
- When renaming stuff it’s better to run fixup redirectors time to time (often).
- When moving folders fixup redirectors is mandatory, moving twice or moving and renaming can break things.
- Some things are not properly marked dirty, so you have to save them even there is no little “*” on them. Composite textures are one of them. We ended up saving textures by hand every time.
- Also, better run a save on things you changed (right-click -> save) and recompile blueprints.
- There are mass renaming plugins on the marketplace, like MORT
- Bonus: windows command that recursively prints all file paths in a folder: dir /b /s /a:-D
Amado (雨戸), wooden shutters against rain, typhoon, etc. I’ve used particles effects in substance painter to get the used look. Now, the rest of the exteriors looks too clean, I’ll work on fixing that. Continue reading “Amado”
A few preview screenshots of
- modular tansu ( traditional Japanese storage cabinetry), composed from a few simple pieces that can be combined in storage cabinets or stairs.
- rice sacks and rice barrels. The rice sacks are modeled using Marvelous Designer. For texturing I’ve used Substancepainter and Bitmap2material.
I’ve started to work on the landscape for my Japanese House project. The idea is to have a big tiled landscape for the view, and a few small landscapes to an higher resolution where the gameplay will take place.
So I started doing 2 things: 1.) I wrote from scratch the landscape material and replaced the material used in the previous screenshots on this blog, 2) I generated the big landscape itself. Continue reading “Landscape work”
Since the last post about the Japanese Modular House project I’ve been working on completing a demo level (it’s not finished yet, but I have done about the half of it). In particular, I did a lot of work on the exterior (new meshes, landscape, foliage) and started to work on the particle systems for interiors and exteriors. For the latter, I’ve decided to learn Niagara, even if it’s still an early access feature, because it’s the future of particle effects in Unreal Engine (and it looks very nice and it’s easy to use too). Continue reading “Japanese Modular House Update”