Since the last post about the Japanese Modular House project I’ve been working on completing a demo level (it’s not finished yet, but I have done about the half of it). In particular, I did a lot of work on the exterior (new meshes, landscape, foliage) and started to work on the particle systems for interiors and exteriors. For the latter, I’ve decided to learn Niagara, even if it’s still an early access feature, because it’s the future of particle effects in Unreal Engine (and it looks very nice and it’s easy to use too). Continue reading “Japanese Modular House Update”
How to use Microsoft Speech API (SAPI) in Unreal Engine 4 (UE4), with Visual Studio 2017 Community Edition. Because I’m always forgetting it.
Work on our Asian friend continues. I adapted the material for the teeth from the new UE4 photo-realistic character sample. Also studied SS profile, roughness and specularity values in the sample and changed mines to match them better. Still some problems from the eye occlusion mesh, maybe need to remake again.
Another port from Daz to UE4. This time a guy, “Saejima”. Screenshots are from 4.19, so no new 4.20 features yet.
We started from G8 basic male and used various shaping parameters to obtain an Asian looking face, then added some more muscles.
For making the normals and AO we exported high res and low res as .obj and baked in Substance Painter combined with G8M bump maps.
For eyes, we took some Paragon eyes, fit in G8M, imported in Daz, created a “Follower”, fit to our character, imported in back maya, fit again, because the occluder didn’t really fit. In short, eyes are difficult to adapt.
In Unreal, normals are a little bit intensified using “flatten normals” node with a negative parameter.
Probably, it can be improved more. Also, it would be interesting to check in 4.20.
Screenshots made in UE4.19 with an empty level, a directional light from the front and a spot light from the back.
I’ve remade the sake bottles in order to make them to look more Japanese (the bottles I did a couple years ago were meant for another project and looked too much like European wine imho, even with the Japanese stickers I added). So I made some new model, some new stickers and worked on the glass shader to make the material to look more realistic. Here the result: