We almost finished a reorganization of a project containing about 2000 uassets. Moving, renaming, removing unused ones, this kind of stuff. Few notes for memory.
- Backup intermediary results.
- When renaming stuff it’s better to run fixup redirectors time to time (often).
- When moving folders fixup redirectors is mandatory, moving twice or moving and renaming can break things.
- Some things are not properly marked dirty, so you have to save them even there is no little “*” on them. Composite textures are one of them. We ended up saving textures by hand every time.
- Also, better run a save on things you changed (right-click -> save) and recompile blueprints.
- There are mass renaming plugins on the marketplace, like MORT
- Bonus: windows command that recursively prints all file paths in a folder: dir /b /s /a:-D
Amado (雨戸), wooden shutters against rain, typhoon, etc. I’ve used particles effects in substance painter to get the used look. Now, the rest of the exteriors looks too clean, I’ll work on fixing that. Continue reading “Amado”
A few preview screenshots of
- modular tansu ( traditional Japanese storage cabinetry), composed from a few simple pieces that can be combined in storage cabinets or stairs.
- rice sacks and rice barrels. The rice sacks are modeled using Marvelous Designer. For texturing I’ve used Substancepainter and Bitmap2material.
Continue reading “Modular Tansu, Rice Barrels and Rice Sacks”
I’ve started to work on the landscape for my Japanese House project. The idea is to have a big tiled landscape for the view, and a few small landscapes to an higher resolution where the gameplay will take place.
So I started doing 2 things: 1.) I wrote from scratch the landscape material and replaced the material used in the previous screenshots on this blog, 2) I generated the big landscape itself. Continue reading “Landscape work”
Since the last post about the Japanese Modular House project I’ve been working on completing a demo level (it’s not finished yet, but I have done about the half of it). In particular, I did a lot of work on the exterior (new meshes, landscape, foliage) and started to work on the particle systems for interiors and exteriors. For the latter, I’ve decided to learn Niagara, even if it’s still an early access feature, because it’s the future of particle effects in Unreal Engine (and it looks very nice and it’s easy to use too). Continue reading “Japanese Modular House Update”
How to use Microsoft Speech API (SAPI) in Unreal Engine 4 (UE4), with Visual Studio 2017 Community Edition. Because I’m always forgetting it.
Continue reading “SAPI in UE4 with VS2017”
Work on our Asian friend continues. I adapted the material for the teeth from the new UE4 photo-realistic character sample. Also studied SS profile, roughness and specularity values in the sample and changed mines to match them better. Still some problems from the eye occlusion mesh, maybe need to remake again.